April 2, 2006

A special day !

For all those people who aspire to pursue their higher education in United States the experience which I am going to describe now might be a common one..but it is something which i really cherish and would not forget for the rest of my life..

Monday, tuesday, wednesday and thursday had passed without any overwhelming news from any of the universities that i had applied to for doing my masters ..it was 9 pm, friday march 10, 2006..i started doing my routine checks on university websites to find out whether any of those had released my admission decision..and once again to my disappointment the status pages showed "sent to academic review.." or "academic decision pending.."...my dad lives in riyadh, saudi..and my mom and dad regularly have voice converation (courtesy yahoo) around 10 pm every night..so i left the computer, went to the other room and started watching some stupid tamil movie with my mind still disturbed by the fact that i had not yet had a favorable decision from the universities where i really wanted to study..

at 10.30 pm i heard my mom yell from the other room "Kaushik..............." that was probably the first time i heard her scream without bothering about what the neighbours would think ...my instincts told me it was to do with university coz more often than not its my mom who keeps checking the status pages...she remembered all my usernames and passwords..something which even i found difficult and had to maintain a separate notebook for that ! she came running to my room and told me "Purdue vandhuduthu da..............." which translates to "Purdue has come ......" I was totally confused..i dint know whether purdue results were out or i had an admission from purdue...these were the most nervous moments of my life..i chanted the names of all the gods and goddesses that i could think of including jesus, allah....i looked at my comp..and my heart skipped a beat - dhak dhak ... dhak dhak

it was the best news that i had ever received...it was an admission from purdue...it was a place where i had dreamed to be..and now i have got it ! the status said "recommended by program" and i told my mom i have been offered admission and there were hi-fi's all around..my sister, grandparents all started congratulating me..but my dad, poor man was sitting in riyadh completely unaware of what was going on..all he heard was my mom yelling ..and our hi-fi's..i then told him the news..and i have never seen him that happy in the last 21 years..this was the only happiness that i could have given my parents for sacrificing their lives by living in different countries for more than a decade now..it was Speacial day !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats dude
niranjan r

Kaushik said...

thaks anonymous..